Why Jimmie Hale?
For three-quarters of a century, the Jimmie Hale Mission has been helping men afflicted by homelessness in downtown Birmingham through education remediation, job readiness and spiritual support.
However, recent statistics reveal that more than 90 percent of the homeless population in our community is plagued by substance abuse. To combat this, the Mission has shifted its focus from rescue to recovery. By addressing these deeper challenges we can help our clients once again become self-sufficient and productive citizens.
Our Active Recovery program is an in-depth, clinically-structured Christian group approach to helping residents understand and overcome the very issues that contribute to their substance abuse. In addition, each client works individually with a professional counselor throughout this 13 to 15-week process.
We also provide residents with an educational curriculum through our Stewart Learning Centers that includes adult basic education, GED preparation and workplace skill sets as well as training for accredited short-term certificates, industry-based certifications and collegiate enrollment.
This dynamic approach to recovery and independence is offered for free to those in need. Our mission is to transform adults directly affected by homelessness, poverty-thinking, and/or addiction, into those who lead healthy, self-sufficient, and productive lives for the glory of God. Genuine transformation begins here.
Jimmie Hale Mission offers:
CHRIST-CENTERED RECOVERY Program
Clinically-structured group process
vocation & education advancement
no-cost recovery for our clients
Active Recovery teaches clients to battle unhealthy compulsions, develop a future story and make value-based decisions. This program treats both substance abuse and poverty by leading people beyond rescue and to fulfillment. Once an individual is drug free and has his needs met, they are then free to work on developing a better life.
Active Recovery focuses on six core principles:
- Understanding Addiction: learning how the brain equates drug use with survival and chains us to our habits.
- Dissecting Motivation: discovering which motivators lead to healthy outcomes and which do not.
- Creating a Life Plan: developing a genuine, personal plan for physical, spiritual, mental, vocational and social health.
- Identifying Values: learning how to differentiate universal and practical values and use them as a tool to direct our actions.
- Value-based Decisions: uncovering individual, practical values to direct decisions. Through practice we develop habits in decision-making that take us to a place of fulfillment.
- Emotional Maturity: identifying the perceptions which feed negative feelings allows one to recognize barriers to healthier emotions.
Think you might have a substance problem? Please click on the link below for our quick self-assessment survey.
JIMMIE HALE MISSION
Men's Center Location:
3420 2nd Ave. N.
Birmingham, AL 35222
Donation Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 10472
Birmingham, AL 35202
Downtown Jimmie Hale Mission, Inc. is a Christian-based, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, which includes a homeless shelter for men, a shelter for women and children, recovery programs, and three learning centers. This charity is often misspelled Jimmy Hale Mission. Federal Tax ID: 63-0358757